Negative Approach



I recently had the opportunity to see the seminal hardcore band Negative Approach play. I went expecting to see a show that would at once remind me of why I was into hardcore, and would also why I no longer am. Those things happened, but what I didn't quite expect to see such an awesome show. The phrase "complete mastery of the form" came to mind. I guess that's not totally accurate, since this was one of a handful of bands to actually define the form, but I can pretty safely say that hardcore was never substantially improved upon since the days in the early eighties where these guys were cranking it out in their Detroit basements. As the Buddhists sometimes say, "first thought, best thought."
Although it's been a number of years, and my judgement may be clouded, I am pretty sure it was the best hardcore show I have ever seen.
Southpaw pictures stolen from this person's Flickr page.
p.s. It might seem from the pictures like the mohawk/plaid guy is in the band. He isn't.

4 Comments:
Best ever?!
I'm trying to think of a hardcore show I saw where I actually thought it was "good"... Youth of Today were funny, but not really good... Of course, there was the Live Nude Girls/Disturbed/Slimy Green Weenies triple bill at the EL VFW, but I guess that's subjective...
EH
As I said that, I immediately started ruling out all the great shows I have seen as "not really hardcore," so that kind of factors into my calculations.
Had I seen Live Nude Girls, I almost certainly would not have been able to make that claim.
The qualities that make a hardcore show "good" are not the same things that make a symphony orchestra concert "good." I think the primary things that make a hardcore show "good" are not musical, but rather other crazy stuff that happened.
Does Grant Hart having a 5th of Whiskey stuffed down the front of his jeans at that DK/Husker Du show at the Minneapolis Armory count as hardcore??- You Decide-PD
Post a Comment
<< Home