Wednesday, December 20, 2006

All the Farther

Yesterday I said to Mildred:

"Is that all the farther you've gotten on that?!"

and she replied:

"Are you trying to speak English?"

and I didn't really know if I had spoken English or not.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, a masterful sequence.
1 - a failed project
2 - a tentitive comment on the status of that project
3 - a cutting response that simultaniously avoids the subject of that project's failure and turns the spotlight on the dubious moral standing of the commentor.

It's right out of the Rove book of English!
Merry Xmas!
Erik

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:54:00 AM  
Blogger elftzu said...

I once asked for a "root beer float" at the Dairy Queen in North St Paul. The woman behind the counter said "What ?". I tried again. and again. Eventually she asked my friend Amy what I was trying to say. She said "A roor beer float". That took care of it.

Friday, December 22, 2006 1:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home