Friday, November 17, 2006

Tuna



Today at work Frank and I were idly wondering which of the major brands of tuna was the best. It seemed to both of us that one of them was better than the others, but neither of us could quite remember which it was.

Well, today when I got home, Mildred was making a big batch of macaroni and tuna salad for a meeting she will be attending tomorrow. Imagine the luck! I did a taste-test and here are the results:

Bumble Bee: Nice pink color. Seems to have the most tuna by volume, after water is squeezed out. Slight fishy taste, slight can taste. Good consistency.

Starkist: Nice pink color.Good consistency, stronger can taste, fishy taste, slightly less tuna than Bumble Bee, uglier label.

Chicken of the Sea: Nice pink color. Drier consistency, no can taste, no fishy taste, just pure tuna goodness. Unpleasant Jessica Simpson association.

Chicken of the Sea wins!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SA - I have had the same experience with Chicken of the Sea. Another way of looking at Tuna is where it's farmed. A few years ago I compared a bunch of tuna on the shelf. All were "dolphin safe", but all but one brand was farmed in Burma (or somewhere like that). However, I was buying tuna the other day, and that information was no longer available on the can. More handy reglatory simplicitizing by our president, no doubt.
EH

Monday, November 20, 2006 3:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home