Killdozer, the Movie

Well, last night I thought I had stumbled across an airing of Killdozer, the movie not to be confused with Killdozer, The Greatest Band of All Time. Having seen it roughly 32 years ago, my memory was a little fuzzy on some of the plot lines and finer points of character development, so I was willing to put aside that both Emilio Estevez and Yeardly Smith were in the movie, a fact that didn't quite square with my idea of when this thing came along. It seemed like they would have been too young to be in a film of this caliber so early on, but then again, how many films about tractors coming to life after a meteor crash and setting about the task of destroying humanity could there be?
As it turns out, at least two. The film I was watching was actually called Maximum Overdrive. It is a terrible film and (I believe) Stephen King's directorial debut, but the exceptional amount of AC/DC music in the soundtrack, and sub-par editing convinced me to watch a good deal of it anyway. I had to find out if humans would survive, or failing that, what sort of civilization would a race of murderous bulldozers build in our place?!
Perhaps "Maximum Overdrive" would be a good name for Michael Gerald's next band, if there ever is one.

2 Comments:
I saw a bit of this too. All that was on tv was football, some infomercials, a couple of churchy things and Maximum Overdrive. Can't remember why I was disinclined to get out of bed and do something else. Had it been Killdozer, I would have been overjoyed, since yeah- it's been something like twenty-five years since I saw it last. MO is just so bad I couldn't take it. And not in a good way. I think that if bulldozers took over the planet it might look something like Apple Valley. Do you think the same supernatural force that animates bulldozers can obviate the necessity for fuel? So, after they run out of diesel, they stop polluting since they're no longer burning hydrocarbons, they're simply channeling meteor waves. After taking over the planet, who's to say the bulldozers wouldn't be better stewards of the earth than we? What would be a bulldozer's preferred habitat- salt flats? mountains? Mall of America? Their purpose is to kill humans, granted- but once all humans are gone, do you think bulldozers would speculate as to why they have these huge blades in front? Would they wonder about their place in the universe? What next for the bulldozers? Think about it.
I was thinking that Maxiumum Overdrive was already a band, but I guess that's actually Bachman Turner Overdrive...
Here's where you can get Killdozer, albeit with "funny" commentary
http://www.mst3kguy.com/TapeVault/vaulttop.htm
EH
Post a Comment
<< Home