Saturday, December 20, 2008

Internet Amnesia



There is a common definition of the phrase "Internet Amnesia" which is that one can't remember where one got some specific information. You know something happened, but you don't know if you read it on RawStory.com or FoxNews.com. The knowledge of where you got the information should probably color your perception of the information, and that's why that sort of Internet Amnesia is significant.

The other kind, coinage of which term I would like to claim right now, is where you are looking at some web page, which inspires you to look something up or otherwise do something on another site. You load that site, but by the time it comes up you can't remember what you were looking for. For example, I just brought up emusic.com because I wanted to see if they had anything by some unknown awesome band. Then I stared at the screen for about ten minutes trying unsuccessfully to remember who I was looking for before deciding to post this picture of Mark Bittman and Mario Batali instead.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Internet also tends to be a race to the bottom. You start out looking for a recipe for foie gras for your fancy dinner party, and the next thing you know you're hypnotized by Batalia's acne, and it reminds you of the poster for The Incredible Melting Man, and what ever happened to that movie anyway....

Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home