Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Brisket in a Bag



The old "Brisket in a Bag" was too cheap to pass up at Price Chopper this week. I usually don't get this, preferring the non-salpetered kind for my purposes, but as I said, it was too cheap to pass up. Also I saw Bobby Flay cooking one of these on Iron Chef just a couple of days ago, so how bad could it be? Not too bad, I guess.

It kind of passed my attention that these things are pretty heavily seasoned not only with the red-making saltpeter, but also with non-petered salt as well. As a result the whole thing was a little over-salted, but not to Grandma Suzie levels or anything.

Served with an ancho/garlic sauce, potato/celery root mash, beans, sauteed brussel sprouts.

Enough meat was left over to turn into corned beef and cabbage, which I planned to do without even realizing that it is St. Patrick's Day today. Erin go figure.

(sorry)

2 Comments:

Blogger Erik Hammen said...

What did Erin say when you were sloppy at the bulk spice area and took her stuff by accident?
"Hey, that ancho garlic!" (but in an Irish accent)

Sure and I'm sorry!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger jkkmmck said...

So it's saltpeter that's used to make meat red? Given that the Chinese discovered saltpeter, I think, perhaps that's what makes char siu pork red.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home