Monday, September 08, 2008

Shepherd's Pie




The whole idea of writing these recipes down is that I will be able to look them up later, to remember what I did, which seems to be getting harder and harder to do. A week or so ago I was not feeling well and made something that felt would be quick and easy. It turned out really good. Yesterday I tried to re-create it, and it turned out ok, but completely different. I have no idea what made the first one so much better, but in the interest of not continuing to backslide, here is more or less the recipe for the second one:

about a pound of ground beef, browned, pepper, salt

about 3 small Yukon gold potatoes and one regular potato, boiled to mashability, mashed w/ salt, milk, cream, comme d'habitude, add about 1/2 cup grated white cheddar

Cooked after the beef, in the same pan, with oil:
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, smashed, chopped
two ears of corn
one small carrot

Deglaze with one mouthful of dreadful Yellowtail Chardonnay

reintroduce the beef
1/5 tomato, from top shelf of fridge
about 1/4 box of those Pomi crushed tomatoes
more pepper, salt
1 Tbs paprika added at the end, off the heat

Assemble in pan, put in the oven at 375 for about half an hour.

1 Comments:

Blogger toelessjoe said...

I would be ever so obliged if you would come up with a delicious salmon dish that someone such as myself might be able to prepare to impress a lady!

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home