Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Brady Dollarhide



Today I have more than a slight headache. It is substantial. A substantial headache. I have a substantial headache, not a slight one. Further, while cooking a slab of salmon tonite, I got confused, overwhelmed by some confluence of thought and sensory input, and forgot one of the rules of cooking with oil: Plop things down in the oil in an AWAY-from-you direction. As you might guess, I got splattered, and now have quarter-sized and nickel-sized burns on my forehead. I like them because although they are "externalizing" my inner headache, they are also making the rest of my facial blotchiness seem like it might have some reason to be there.

So anyway, when I was walking through the Armory Show, there was this (as in "there was this one painting..." I am not referring to the image above) Brady Dollarhide painting, and I wondered when it might have been painted, since it was color-wise more complex than the first ones I ever saw (two colors) but not at all like the over-done messes he showed at Jessica Murray about a year and a half ago. There was no tag near the work to specify the date. I was about to ask the gallery person when it was painted and then I realized to my horror that I was about to say something along the lines of "Excuse me, can you provide me with the provenance of this Dollarhide?"

Embarrassed, I left the booth.

Then I saw another one in another booth (pictured above), this time with a tag, but with a tag that identified the work as the work of another artist. Probably the same person from the other booth. These are his schtick exACTly. What gives? Who is the stealer here?

I also saw ripoffs of Lamar Peterson, and real Kehinde Wileys (who has some Thug Lite ripper-offers out there too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home