Down on Main Street


Much has been made lately about the Wall Street vs. Main Street dichotomy that may or may not exist in our political environment. The other day I was buying some kale at the farmer's market, (which is actually on Main Street btw (by the way)) while the sweet sounds of a hippy band filled the air. It was the sort of band that inspires filthy people (and I feel I have a right to use that word, being one myself) to "dance" in a way that involves loosely waving their arms, and also featured a Hammond organ, if memory serves. For some reason they decided it would be prudent to do a cover of Bob Seger's AOR classic "Main Street," the entire lyrics of which are repoduced here:
I remember standing on the corner at midnight
Trying to get my courage up
There was this long lovely dancer in a little club downtown
I loved to watch her do her stuff
Through the long lonely nights she filled my sleep
Her body softly swaying to that smoky beat
Down on Mainstreet
In the pool halls, the hustlers and the losers
I used to watch 'em through the glass
Well I'd stand outside at closing time
Just to watch her walk on past
Unlike all the other ladies, she looked so young and sweet
As she made her way alone down that empty street
Down on Mainstreet
And sometimes even now, when I'm feeling lonely and beat
I drift back in time and I find my feet
Down on Mainstreet
Down on Mainstreet
I have been hearing this song for about thirty years now on various classic rock stations in various markets. I just now realized that the female lead of the first stanza is a stripper. Doesn't that make the whole song a little creepy, even beyond its other limitations? In fact, the whole song is little more than a description of the completely unsavory Bob Seger hanging out to look at a stripper in various parts of her work day. Call me a prude, but if this is what they mean by the "values" that people have on "Main Street" I'm not sure I approve.
Further, what exactly is going on with Bob's hands in that second picture?

2 Comments:
yeah man, the hooker with the heart of gold. It's bob's demographic. However, I'd support the guy if only because the newer models of him (such as John Couger) are vastly inferior.
Initally when I looked this post I wondered why you were blogging about Steve Wozniak instead of Steve Jobs as you usually do.
Post a Comment
<< Home