Thursday, April 13, 2006

I'm leavenin' it.



Happy Pesach everyone. I hope you're all happy. You've really done it now. I'm so mad about this holiday that I am right now eating (leavened) crackers. Pesach might mean seders for some people, but for me it means No Seder. For you see, Sam Seder has taken the day off to celebrate the holiday, meaning that the bossy and cranky Janeane Garafalo is running the Majority Report all on her own. Come back Sam! We miss you!

In other non-kosher news, today I went back to the studio for the first time in quite a while and went through the motions. It is surprising to me how much concentration it takes to make images. Unfocus your attention for one minute and you can't remember what you were doing at all. If you take a couple days off, you inevitably spend several hours just sort of mashing the brush around in the paint trying to remember what you were thinking about. That's what happened to me today.

The way I used to gauge the quality of my studio time was to look at the amount of coffee left in the pot. The more coffee left at the end of the day, the better the session, because it meant that I had been focused on the work and not on drinking coffee. Since I buy coffee on the street in paper cups, and usually only get one per studio visit, I can no longer use the coffee pot method, and have had to find a new way to gauge my productivity. Now, if I find at some point that I have sat in the same position without moving for long enough that both my legs have gone to sleep, that's a good sign.

Today I had one leg go to sleep, and not even very well. I could still feel it and walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home