Berserker and berserker.

A tornado is no friend of mine,
a tornado is no buddy.
--Yow
A tornado went right through the center of Iowa City last night creating quite a mess. This is St. Patrick's church, somewhere on Dodge Street I think. The Alpha Chi Omega sorority below was within about a block from where I used to live and where John and Shannon still do.

My friend Tony was right in the middle of it all and wrote this about the moment he realized what was happening:
"...then I heard it, this weird whoosh sound, not really loud but sonically weird, it almost sounded like a voice. I looked at Mike and was like what the f*ck? and then it hit us both, a sense of doom and Mike screamed we gotta go down to the basement!"
He got down in the basement ok, but it was a close call. The room sort of exploded behind them and he probably would have been pretty badly hurt if he had lingered a few seconds more. Now he is in the unenviable position of owing his life to Mike J, but things could be worse. I like his description of the sound of the tornado as being like a voice. He compared it to the sound of the Devil's voice, although he stresses that he is not religious.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home