Pho #3 (Meatballs)
This was my third attempt at the pho. I arguably got a little too French with the stock, but I feel like it was getting there. I used beef marrow bones and beef shin, which may not be totally authentic, I don't know, but it was ok. There was no eye of round this time, but some pork meatballs instead. The meatballs were nowhere near those mystery meat beauties you get with the real deal, but they were pretty good anyway. Also, since certain people refuse to eat bean sprouts, I substituted pea shoots instead. I would say they were perfectly acceptable, although they kind of took the soup in a different direction.
Just to regain my bearings, I visited Nha Trang Centre and ordered the most similar pho I could find. It was not very similar. Nha Trang is serves what I would call "clean bowl" pho, which is not my favorite, but the experience reminded me that there is a certain merit in the more simple, cleaner stock.

4 Comments:
so now, what's "clean bowl" pho?
EH
"Clean Bowl" is my own term for the kind of place that looks like it washes the bowls between customers.
"Clean Bowl" is my own term for the kind of place that looks like it washes the bowls between customers.
I hear you.
We have much pho out here in seattle, and the serving bowls alwasy look clean, but the big ass pot from which they draw all the pho probably isn't ever cleaned. Hence the bonne flavour.
EH
Post a Comment
<< Home